Sunday, January 11, 2015

Beauty Favourites of 2014

In the past year, I have purchased and received a ton of makeup. I picked out the best ones that worked out incredibly for me from face to eyes to lips. These are products that I will continue to use in 2015 until I find something better!




FACE:

Mac Studio Fix Powder in NC40 (C$32):
I can honestly say I'm in love with this powder, it gives an amazing coverage without feeling like you have a trillion layers of foundation on your face. It lasts throughout the day and I hate to say it but days where I worked out back in the day, this held up. I personally like to apply this with the MAC 182 Buffer Brush (C$53) because it's so big and dense, it gets powder everywhere evenly. I have gone through literally 2 of these in the past year. This powder gives a matte finish of course but days where I would like to look glowy without the use of liquid foundation, I like to pair it up with Becca's Shimmering Perfector in Opal (C$50).


Becca Shimmering Perfector in Opal (C$50):
This is literally my holy grail for dewy skin. Everyone always tend to ask what I'm using to get a glow and this is it! I have tried a lot of products from Mac's Strobe Cream, Laura Mercier's Radiance Primer, Josie Maran Argan Luminizer, and Giorgio Armani's Fluidsheer but this is definitely my favourite. I love this product because when I apply it as a base, I can still see the glow shine through even though I layered powder on top. I found that when I used Mac's Strobe Cream and put powder on top, I couldn't even see the radiance anymore. You can also use this shimmering perfector to mix with your liquid foundation which is absolutely stunning! Sometimes I even use it as a base for my highlight on top of my cheekbones. 


Benefit's Hoola Bronzer (C$36):
If there's one item that everyone and their mom needs, it's the Hoola bronzer. This is such a universal shade that will suit almost every skin tone. I used to not like this product because when I swatched it, it didn't even show up on my hand. I thought it was garbage but my girlfriend had it, I tried it on and I was amazed. This bronzer is very buildable and is NOT orange which is what I love. It has lasted me over a year and I haven't even hit pan. I use this thing almost every day with the occasional switch up but I always go back. I love applying this bronzer with my Nars Ita Kabuki brush, it works beautifully. 



Anastasia Beverly Hill's Contour Kit (C$52):
I think this palette is lovely for anyone starting out in makeup who wants to learn how to contour. I like this particular palette due to the variety of contour shades that are NOT orange. I also am in love with the banana shade in this palette for setting under eye concealer. For someone who doesn't get that much sleep, it keeps my concealer in tact and my eye bags hidden. 


Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Vanilla (C$35):
I cannot stress enough how much I truly love this concealer. This thing has lasted me a good 8 months or so and for the price, it is so right! It gives amazing coverage and a little goes a LONG way. I kid you not. When I first got this concealer, I put two thick dabs on and it almost covered my entire face. You really only need the littlest bit! I really love this concealer for my under eyes set with the banana shade from the ABH Contour Kit. I also like it to highlight the tip of my nose and forehead. I will never want to try another concealer... okay maybe I'm lying about that part because I love exploring new products but this concealer is just so good! Below I have a photo of the concealer swatched and then swatched with banana from ABH's contour kit set on top.


Clinique Cheek Pop Blush in Ginger Pop (C$24):
These blushes are so underrated for how incredibly pigmented and iridescent they are! This was my favourite blush in the summer because it gave me that bronze glow that suited my tan. Is it such a pretty almost "burnt orangeish coral" colour which is in trend for the fall time. They are basically blush highlighters and I get enough for someone who loves dewy skin and dewy everything! I love wearing this blush with a full face or even for a natural glow. This is just beautiful.


Becca's Shimmering Perfector Pressed in Opal (C$46):
I'm sure everyone has heard of this highlighter and is probably sick of it seeing it in everyone's favourites but there is a reason! This highlighter is the best of the best and is so darn pigmented! You don't need much of it to get a glow and it looks beautiful on the skin. I love applying this on the high points of my cheeks, nose, and cupid's bow. I literally have every single one of the shimmering perfecters liquid and pressed but this is my most favourite!


EYES:

Lorac Pro Palette (C$52):
This is a very amazing palette that I bought last year and have not once regretted it. I used it every singe day every since I got it but have been switching up recently. This palette has an array of different shades from browns to purples to orange to deeper colours. I love it because I can use this for a day look an evening look. The colours are very pigmented and blend seamlessly! This palette is a must if you're just starting out or want a add a really good palette to your collection. Below I have photos of the palette and a few swatches.



Too Faced Shadow Insurance (C$24):
I really like this primer because it's not too tacky. It tacky enough to ensure your shadows aren't going to move around of come off your eyes but not tacky to the point where you feel like it's impossible to blend. I usually like to put a little bit of skin tone shadow on top of most primers so I can blend easily but with this primer, I don't have to. It's a nice light texture where it doesn't feel like too much is on my eyelids. This has lasted be over a year as well because you really only need so little.


Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Liner in Blackest Black (C$9):
This is a really good gel eyeliner for something that only 9 dollars and has lasted a couple months. I don't know how it goes as far as drying out because my stupid self left the lid off for a whole night so that basically dried this thing up. I added baby oil and it works just as new. But as far as product and how much I have left, I haven't even hit pan and I've had it for several months now. It's pretty black and I like how I can even blend this eyeliner into my crease for more dramatic looks. This doesn't hold up as well in the tight line but with black eyeshadow layered, it's awesome! I love to use this with my Sigma eyeliner brush.


Clinique High Impact Extreme Volume Mascara in Extreme Black (C$23):
I found this item by accident and I'm so glad I did. I was actually gifted this mascara thinking nothing of it because I was so sad that every mascara just does nothing for my Asian stick straight lashes, lol. But this mascara is the bomb dot com! It gives my lashes volume and keeps my lashes curled for most of the day. I always get compliments as to what mascara I'm using because it makes my lashes so thick looking without the spider legs effect. I am so happy to have found this that I even bought it for my girlfriend!


BROWS:

Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow in Dark Brown (C$23):
I really like this stuff but it is going to take some time to get used to and I was willingly to try. A little really does go along way. It is very easy to go over board with this product and some people don't realize it. I love using this with ABH's eyebrow brush in #12. It work beautifully together. This will literally last me forever.



LIPS:

Kat Von D's Studded Lipstick in Cathedral and Lovecraft ($26):
I have a ton of lip favourites that I used but I narrowed it down to 2 lipsticks I know that don't disappoint it when it comes to wear. I purposely wear this lipstick to work knowing I don't have to touch up. I believe in it so much that I don't even bring it to work with me because I know it's going to hold up. It holds up even when I eat greasy food. These lipsticks are drying but honestly, what matte lipsticks aren't? It's a given that matte lipsticks are going to be dry. These shades are very similar to colour of the year aka Marsala. I love these lipsticks so much! Below I have photos of the lipsticks and swatches on the hand.